Main River Loop Map

Click on the map to display the locations.

 
 

Main River Loop Shuttle

Park your car and stay mobile.

learn more
 

Click on the name of one of the locations for more detailed information.

Astheim (around 800 inhabitants)

Facts & figures

  • First officially documented in 906
  • Has been holding fishing rights for the Main River ever since its inception

Wine-growing

"Astheimer Kartäuser" (55 ha)

Excursion options

  • Main River Loop Railway station in Astheim
  • Educational quince trail

Destinations

Marienbrück Carthusian monastery – Home of the Museum for Christian Iconography (Museum für christliche Bildgeschichte)
Erkinger von Seinsheim founded the monastery in 1409, construction of church and priory in 1603, cells, cloister and chapter house fell into disrepair due to secularisation (1803). A museum since 1999.

Dimbach (around 150 inhabitants)

Facts & figures

First historical documentation of the church in 1020

Destinations

Early Gothic pilgrimage church "Maria de Rosario" (Virgin of the Rosary), constructed in 1334

Tour options for groups

Submit your booking to Alfred Sauer, Phone: +49 (0)9381-4133

Eichfeld (around 450 inhabitants)

Facts & figures

  • First officially documented in 906

Destinations

  • Neo-Gothic church with spire from the 14th/15th century
  • Remains of the "Gaden" (annexes)
  • Historical townhall
  • Cemetery portal (Renaissance) dating back to 1588

Escherndorf (around 300 inhabitants)

www.escherndorf.de

Facts & figures

First historical documentation in 1253

Wine-growing

  • "Escherndorfer Lump" (33 ha)
  • "Escherndorfer Fürstenberg" (70 ha)
  • "Escherndorfer Berg" (33 ha)

Excursion options

Educational vine trail, footpath to Vogelsburg Castle, Main River ferry to Nordheim

Destinations

  • Post-Gothic parish church (constructed around 1600) and crucifixion group (Rococo)
  • Rococo fountain at the town centre

Fahr (around 650 inhabitants)

www.fahr-am-main.de

Facts & figures

Important location for fruit and asparagus cultivation (120 ha)

Wine-growing

"Volkacher Ratsherr" (90 ha)

Destinations

  • Late-Gothic parish church and historical winemaker houses
  • Franconian half-timbered "Kastenhof" (16th century) at the town centre

Excursion options

Panoramic hiking trail and ferry to Kaltenhausen / Eisenheim

Gaibach (around 500 inhabitants)

Facts & figures

Mention of a knightly dynasty (von Galbach) in the 12th century

Wine-growing

"Gaibacher Schlosspark" (12 ha)

"Gaibacher Kapellenberg" (27 ha)

Destinations

  • Parish church of the Holy Trinity 1742-45 (Balthasar Neumann)
  • Water castle around 1700 (owned by the Earl of Schönborn), modified into a late-Baroque pleasure palace. Today, the building is used as a middle and secondary school with boarding school facility.
  • Constitutional Column constructed from plans by royal architect Leo von Klenze. Constructed between 1821 and 1828. Height 30 metres. 1832 venue for the Gaibach Festival.
  • Cross chapel (Kreuzkapelle) constructed from plans by Johann Leonard Dietzenhöfer. Constructed between 1697 and 1700.

Köhler (around 40 inhabitants)

Facts & figures

Köhler is the smallest town district in Volkach

Wine-growing

"Escherndorfer Fürstenberg"

Destinations

Succursal church (18th century) with altars (around 1700) from the Carmelite church at Vogelsburg Castle

Krautheim (around 200 inhabitants)

Facts & figures

First historical documentation in 888

Wine-growing

"Krautheimer Sonnenleite" (10 ha)

Destinations

  • Parish church with spire from the 14th century and remains of the "Gaden" (annexes)
  • Former castle of the Barons von Buttlar with a date of 1736

Excursion options

  • Krautheim is situated along the cycling route from Volkach to Gerolzhofen
  • Privately owned brewery (since 1654) with tour options and restaurant

Obervolkach (around 700 inhabitants)

www.obervolkach.de

Facts & figures

First historical documentation in 906

Wine-growing

"Obervolkacher Landsknecht" (80 ha)

Destinations

  • Parish church with late-Gothic choir spire
  • Cemetery chapel (1716) and portal (1606)
  • Historical arched bridge across the Volkach stream with "Nepomuk" statue
  • Stettenburg castle ruin above the village

Rimbach (around 300 inhabitants)

Rimbach (around 300 inhabitants)

First officially documented in 906

Destinations

Parish church constructed 1669-70 with old tabernacle (1502)