Schließen

Hotels and guest houses

Destinations

all around the Main River Loop

Click on the name of one of the locations for more detailed information.

"Maria im Weingarten"

Facts & figures

 

  • First historical documentation in 1158
  • On the way to the church: three old pilgrimage stops dating back to 1520/21, and some "new" stations of the cross from the 19th century

 

Interior:

 

  • Side altar on the left: Pilgrimage image of the "Pieta" (wood) from the 14th century
  • Side altar on the right: Statue of "Anna Selbdritt" (16th century)
  • Choir arch: "Maria im Rosenkranz" (Madonna of the Rosary) (1521/24) by Tilmann Riemenschneider – fresco of St. Christopher (around 1500)
  • Seuffert church organ from 1794, refurbished in 2000

 

Time travel

 

The very first parish church in the Main River loop was initially documented in 1158. A semi-monastic community of women (Beguines) settled here in 1330, and was disbanded in 1422. The construction of today's late-Gothic church was completed in the 15th century. A "Brotherhood of the Rosary" was founded in 1642. The interior of the church was last refurbished in 2002.

 

Tour options

 

March and Nov.:
Friday to Sunday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

April - Oct.:
Monday to Sunday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Bookings:
Tourist Information Volkacher Mainschleife, Marktplatz 1, 97332 Volkach, Phone: +49 (0)9381-401 12. An entrance fee is charged for visiting the church!

 

Recommended reading

"Madonnenraub auf dem Kirchberg bei Volkach im Jahr 1962"

Vogelsburg Castle

Facts & figures

 

  • Important prehistoric Franconian defensive military construction
  • Carolingian royal court, presented to the Fulda Monastery in 906
  • 1282 Carmelite Monastery, burial ground for the Earls of Castell
  • 1525 destroyed during the Peasants' War
  • Secularisation in 1803
  • Property of the Augustinian Sisterhood between 1957 and 2010, who operated the estate as a meeting centre and a place of hospitality.
  • Vogelsburg Castle changed hands in 2011, with the Juliusspital Foundation (Würzburg) taking over the upkeep.
  • Only some parts of the church remain of the original estate.
  • Interior of the church from 1957

 

Tour options

 

Free guided tour every first Sunday of the month between May and October at 2 pm.

 

Wine-growing

 

"Vogelsburger Pforte" (2 ha)

Hallburg

Facts & figures

 

  • Once owned by the Earls of Castell
  • The estate was annexed by the Archdiocese of Würzburg in 1230
  • In 1356, it was pledged to the Zollners
  • The Earls of Stadion took ownership of the estate between 1665 and 1801
  • Currently owned by the Earls of Schönborn since 1806

 

Destinations

 

Very little remains of the once great castle:

  • The living quarters (16th century) with Knights Hall
  • The keep (13th century)
  • St. Pancras Chapel

 

Tour options

 

Today, Hallburg Castle is a restaurant with wine and beer garden

 

Wine-growing

 

"Hallburger Schlossberg" (30 ha)

Um unsere Webseite für Sie optimal zu gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Durch die weitere Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen zu Cookies erhalten Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung